Tips for choosing vintage wedding dresses in the UK
Choosing vintage wedding dresses in the UK can make for an incredible wedding. A vintage wedding dress can introduce a touch of old fashioned glamour and elegance.
- But buying one is a completely different process to buying a modern wedding dress. Keep these tips in mind and you'll soon find your perfect dress!
- Decide which era of vintage dress best suits your style. This an important starting point that will help focus your search and plan other aspects for your Big Day.
- Don't rely on dress sizes - take your measurements. Vintage dresses are sized very differently to modern dresses. Measure your waist, hips, bust, shoulder and arm. It's a good idea to measure yourself once a week for a month - as you can change throughout your monthly cycle.
- Many vintage dresses were designed to be worn with a corset. If you plan to wear one, take your measurements with it on.
- Only consider dresses in good condition. An old stain is often impossible to get out, and you'll have a hard time trying to track down a match for a missing button.
- Be extra careful about dresses that were made before 1920. Older fabrics are just too delicate to handle.
- Consider whether you want to buy an actual vintage dress or whether it would be better to have a reproduction made. With a reproduction, you can achieve the romantic look you love without having to worry about its durability.
- How will the dress fit into the rest of your ceremony? What style of bridesmaid dresses would look good with your vintage gown?