2013 Metropolitan Costume Institute Exhibit : 'Punk: Chaos To Couture'
The Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute has chosen for this 2013 Spring a new and exciting exhibition called Punk: Chaos to Couture.
The exhibition which opens May 9 and runs through August, will showcase the influence and impact of punk on high fashion, from the movement’s birth in the early 1970s and how it was interpreted by high fashion designers.
The exhibition will feature approximately one hundred high-fashion designs where the clothes will be animated with music from the period and also on display will be a few original punk ensembles and videos showing punk icons.
Seven galleries will be organized in themes, and each of the galleries will be represented by punk icons and scenes, like CBGB's in New York, where Blondie, Richard Hell, The Ramones, Television and the New York Dolls played, and the Seditionaries, the Clothes for Heroes gallery with Vivienne Westwood, and her work with Malcolm McLaren.
There are also four categories on the D.I.Y. aesthetic: Hardware - decorative embellishments, the use of zippers, studs, spikes, chains, padlocks, and safety pins; Bricolage - objects from trash and consumer culture; Graffiti – spraying, painting, and stenciling; Destroy - ripping, tearing, and slashing
Fashion designers that were inspired by punk will include designs and clothes from:
- Miguel Adrover.
- Thom Browne.
- Christopher Bailey - Burberry.
- Hussein Chalayan.
- Francisco Costa - Calvin Klein.
- Christophe Decarnin - Balmain.
- Ann Demeulemeester - Dior.
- Domenico Dolce e Stefano Gabbana - Dolce e Gabbana.
- John Galliano.
- Nicolas Ghesquière - Balenciaga.
- Katharine Hamnett.
- Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren - Viktor & Rolf.
- Christopher Kane.
- Rei Kawakubo - Comme des Garçons, Karl Lagerfeld and Chanel.
- Helmut Lang.
- Martin Margiela.
- Malcolm McLaren.
- Alexander McQueen.
- Franco Moschino.
- Rossella Jardini - Moschino.
- Kate e Laura Mulleavy - Rodarte.
- Miuccia Prada.
- Gareth Pugh.
- Zandra Rhodes.
- Hedi Slimane - Saint Laurent.
- Stephen Sprouse.
- Jun Takahashi - Undercover,
- Joseph Thimister,
- Riccardo Tisci - Givenchy.
- Gianni Versace.
- Junya Watanabe.
- Yohji Yamamoto.
- Vivienne Westwood.